home aboutme shopjewelry shopbeads bloglove contact

Thursday, September 9, 2010

poor priest

1st Funny from last night:
A priest walks into dad's hospital room last night to pray with dad and give him communion.  He immediately asks what church our family goes to in Columbia.  Easy enough...St Joseph's.  Then he asks, who are the priests there these days?  Dad and I look at each other.  Silent.  We don't go to church.
2nd Funny from last night:
The priest prays with dad and gives him communion.  Okay, dad was then done.  Priest proceeds to stay and chat and tell dad how to pray.  Now, I do believe that prayer is a powerful thing.  I really do.  But I personally can get a little overwhelmed at times with religion because I don't really understand it.  So he asks dad if he has brothers.  Dad says yes, two.  So he says, talk to Jesus just like you would talk to your brothers.  Makes enough sense to me.  Dad starts to get emotional and I know it's time for the priest to leave.  He doesn't.  Instead he says, I'm sure you talk to Jesus all the time like he's right beside you.  Dad says (in his hard to understand stroke voice) loud and clear that Jesus must be really bored then.  I just about died.
3rd Funny from last night:
The priest still doesn't leave.  He asks me what I do for a living and I tell him I'm in between jobs.  I explain that I am going to start at the animal shelter soon.  He then proceeds to tell me about his daughter's cat (named Maddie-which is just weird enough) that got a tumor in his head.  Please keep in mind that dad is on the Neuro floor.  Enough said?  He finishes by telling me that the vet opened him up the other day and realized he was so bad off that it would be the most humane thing to just put him down.  I just stared at him in disbelief.  As soon as he walked out the door, I promised dad I wouldn't let them put him down during his biopsy.  He finally laughed.

I know the poor priest meant well but I tell you, it was just a flop!

As an update on dad, he woke up this morning and could barely move his left leg.  He hasn't been able to move his right leg or arm at all for 2 weeks now.  So as you can imagine, he was not a happy camper with only his left arm working.  He was also told they are moving his biopsy to Monday.  They just now took him down for an MRI b/c of his left side (and his head is not quite right today) so maybe they will change their mind and do it tomorrow.  It sure would make us happy.  
Please continue to pray.

2 comments:

  1. We're sending good thoughts your way. Keep us posted. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that your dad is not feeling well. I hope he has his biopsy, and that they can get him on the path to recovery soon. Stay strong and positive!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Spill it....
I always love hearing from my peeps!